+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cheap Gamer Tips

Default Cheap Gamer Tips

General Video Games

1. Research

Do your research online before buying a game. This means search on ebay and sort by buy-it-now lowest total price, amazon, through google shopping, gamestop, etc. Ebay is usually the cheapest in my experience but sometimes gamestop for really cheap games as you can pick it up and save on shipping. Craigslist never fails as well even with newly released games. Buying used has never failed me but be sure to read the condition of the game.
    Also, unrelated to the topic, but research reviews on the game. Use gamerankings.com for an aggregated score on games and to find awesome games that you have surely missed. I'm lazy and generally just go buy based on the scores and sure enough - I have loved every game with a high score (of course I still buy within the genres that I like).

If you use ebay, check to see if live cashback is available through microsoft.
    Quick Steps for Cashback
    1. Search "cheap wii" on live.com (or click that link <<<)
    2. Look at the sponsored links (if they don't show up try refreshing until you see them - if you don't then cashback isn't available currently) and look for the ebay one that says you may get _% (8% at the time of writing) off with Paypal if eligible.
    3. Click this then find what you want and click buy-it-now. Look for the live search cashback logo which should tell you the amount you will get back.
    4. Buy the item and pay. You will get instructions how to get cashback (takes 60 days with a $5 cashback minimum).

2. Consider Waiting

There are tons of amazing games out there and almost all of them keep falling in value (exceptions would be in huge demand games like Halo 3 or Fallout 3 that have stopped around $30 - although craigslist is a way to get some of these titles for even cheaper).

It all depends on what you value your games at, but I'm so backed up with old awesome games that I get the new stuff later for around $20 instead of a high $60+tax.
    Don't deprive yourself if you're done with all the amazing old games though. For example, I was interested in Saints Row 2, but I never played Saints Row. I got that for only around $8 and put about 30 hours into it. Now I'm ready for Saints Row 2, and it is about $10-15 cheaper than when I first wanted it - all without depriving myself.
    If your friends are playing the newest game, and you really want it, do the research above and get it.

3. Redistribute when necessary

I used to buy games for $60+tax, beat them, and never touch them again.

Now on for games that I know are a one-time thing(such as one-player story only games) I resell through ebay or craigslist or trade through Goozex (trading website for video games - useful if you have an in-demand title to trade but otherwise it is difficult to get your old stuff traded).

The best part about in-demand games are that you can buy them, fully enjoy them, and resell possibly even for a profit! I got Fallout 3 for $30 put 40 hours into it - the game was still going for $35+ when I was done (even now months later it's still sitting around that price).

Games where multiplayer is a long-term experience that you love to come back to - keep them.

When in doubt, sell.
    Prices wont go up so if a new DLC comes out for say... Fallout 3 - just buy it back - it may even be cheaper!

Conclusion

You can utilize these methods to cut your video game expenditures to a fraction of the cost or even into $0. It all depends on what you want and when you want it. This is the key - don't deprive yourself but use the power of the internet to fulfill your wants, your needs, and your wallet.
    Last edited by Fsunka; 05-23-2009 at 03:34 AM.

Paper bags lunch to school NDominator's Avatar

Very good post. Please add in something about Gamestop and older game systems. I traded in a lot of my old N64 games and a gamecube game or two when I first got a Gamecube. DO NOT SELL OLD GAME SYSTEMS AND GAMES UNLESS YOU ARE 100% SURE YOU DO NOT WANT TO PLAY IT AGAIN EVER! I made this mistake and I didn't even get my money's worth for those games. Now I want to go and get the Mario Party's and Super Smash because I never got those or Golden Eye. I really need to get Golden Eye. Where do/should I get old games?

Well my suggestion is NEVER trade into gamestop especially old stuff.. they pay $3 for stuff you bought for $60. They'll just resell it for $15-20. Best thing to do with really old stuff like that is either keep or sell all in a bundle to a person who actually wants it.

Old games... hmm.. I know some game stores have some old stuff but can't count on it so search craigslist or ebay. There may be some old gaming websites out there, but I don't know of any.

I just checked ebay and the cheapest buy-it-nows were around $11 including shipping.. try craigslist near you.
    Last edited by Fsunka; 05-24-2009 at 12:23 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information